Saturday, January 19, 2008

My Favourite N.T. Wright Quotes

“To affirm ‘the authority of scripture’ is precisely not to say, ‘We know what scripture means and don’t need to raise any more questions’” (The Last Word [New York: HarperSanFrancisco, 2005], 91).


“I take it as a method in my biblical studies that if I turn a corner and find myself saying, ‘Well, in that case, that verse is wrong’ that I must have turned a wrong corner somewhere. But this does not mean that I impose what I think is right on to that bit of the Bible. It means, instead, that I am forced to live with that text uncomfortably . . . until suddenly I come round a different corner and that verse makes a lot of sense” (N.T. Wright, “How Can the Bible Be Authoritative?” Vox Evangelica 21 [1991]: 30).

Feels like I'm turning a few corners in Gospels this semester.

1 comment:

Raffi Shahinian said...

Your post title was too similar to one I recently posted to ignore. Thought you might be interested in my favorite N.T. Wright quotes.

Grace and Peace,
Raffi Shahinian